Saturday, March 24, 2018

Home for Domestic Violence in Mexico: Red Nacional De Refugios


There are so many women experience domestic violence every day at home. The situation of Mexican women might be even worse. “In Mexico, the most recent official nationwide survey indicates that 44.9% of women have suffered some form of violence in their homes, with 25.8% of women reporting physical violence; 11.7% sexual violence; 56.4% economic violence; and 89.2% emotional violence” (https://theconversation.com/sexual-and-domestic-violence-the-hidden-reasons-why-mexican-women-flee-their-homes-65352). Where can they go after encounting with domestic violence? Red Nacional De Refugios (www.rednacionalderefugios.org.mx) provide shelter for those women which might be the place to save their life.




Why shelter?
·       Protect women and their children to prevent the Children to grow in the violent environment.
·       Provide them work skills to able them to have freedom
2016, 20 women from different organizations received training to help women to gain working skills through Red Nacional De Refugios. So far 970 victims have learned some form of working skills.
·       The shelter also provides a social network for those women to obtain  social skills

Let’s hear what the previous victims say about the shelter:
·       Before I was living under another person’s order. Now I am my own boss, I have time for myself and my kids.
·       We don’t need to make appointment for consulting and time is very flexible. We cover each other’s’ back.
·       They helped me to realize that it is not normal to live under violence and they helped me to move out from the root of violence in my life.
·        They taught me accounting/management skills which enable me to work. It helped me to realize how far I can go and obtain the confidence of life.
·       I received medical care, sociological help, legal assistance here.
·       Shelter provided a different life vision for me.
·       It makes me feel that I am not alone. They talk with me and we discuss my future together.
·       First, it helped me to realize it is not right to live under violence. I worked a lot to rise my kids and help them to realize the gender role.

*Picture is retrieved from: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/domestic-violence-cases-are-being-failed-by-the-irish-legal-system-1.2157658

No comments:

Post a Comment